Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Homemade Formula pt. 2 - the recipe!

Following is the recipe that I used for 18 months, it is from the Weston A. Price Foundation and is also in the great book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.

Milk- Based Homemade Formula

2 cups whole raw milk, completely unprocessed from pasture raised cows or goats**
1/4 cup homemade liquid whey (directions to come soon!)
4 TBS lactose (NOW)
1/4 tsp. bifidobacterium infantis (Natren Life Start)
2-3 TBS raw cream, completely unprocessed from pasture raised cows
1/2 tsp. plain fermented cod liver oil (Green Pasture's)
1/4 tsp high-vitamin butter oil (Green Pasture's)
1 tsp. organic expeller pressed sunflower oil (FLORA)
1 tsp. organic extra virgin olive oil, unfiltered (from health food store)
2 tsp. small flake nutritional yeast flakes (Frontier brand only)
1 7/8 cups filtered water
2 tsp. organic extra virgin coconut oil (Radiant Life)
2 tsp. gelatin (Bernard Jensen's 100% beef)
1/4 tsp. acerola powder (NOW)

This is how I made it after a bit of trial and error:

1. Pour water into med. size pot, turn heat to medium and add the lactose, gelatin and yeast flakes; give it a good whisk then leave to heat up slowly.

 2. Pour milk (if frozen* thaw first) into blender and add the: whey, bifidus, cod liver oil, sunflower oil, olive oil and acerola powder. At this point check the water mixture and if pretty warm turn off, remove from heat and add the frozen* cream, coconut oil and butter oil.

3. Return to the blender and with the lid on pulse 2-4 times. Add the warm water mixture and again pulse only very briefly (or it has a tendency to curdle) 2-3 times max.

4. At this point it is made! I almost always poured the formula directly into bottles and then placed in the fridge. The other option is to pour into a glass pitcher with a secure lid and pour as needed, but I found it hard because the oils would be all at the top.  If there was 1-2 portions more than I knew she would drink over the following 24 hrs. I would pour each amount into a Lansinoh breastmilk freezer bag and place in the freezer.

5. Clean up!

It really became quite simple; I didn't even look at the recipe until everything was included (just in case I forgot something) and even though I didn't always relish the thought of making it EVERY single day it was so worth it because Eleonora thrived and loved it!

*Because I only could get my raw milk every 2 weeks I would freeze 1 weeks worth divided into 2 cup portions making it easy to thaw overnight. The same for my raw cream - I froze it in 2 TBS worth ice cube trays and when frozen I would place in a freezer ziploc bag. If I had fresh cream I would place it in the blender- not into the warm water mixture. I keep raw milk in the fridge for 1 week and raw cream for 2-3 days only, otherwise I freeze them.

** After reading up I chose to use raw goats milk for the first 1 year since it is more easily digestible and also higher in calories, I will share more details in a coming post.

I hope that these directions show just how simple it is to actually make such a nutritious formula and in the coming weeks I will share more of the why's behind the ingredients.
But coming up next is :
1.How to make homemade whey
2. The most affordable places I found to buy these ingredients
3. Why Raw milk?

Blessings,
Louisa

No comments:

Post a Comment